Basic Stand Up Paddling Techniques
Knowing the multiple paddle strokes and basics can help ensure you maximize the potential of your board.
The main paddle strokes are:
- Forward Stroke- used to propel forward
- Reverse Stroke- used to move backwards
- Forward Sweep- used for sharp/fast turns
A few quick pointers:
- Hinge at the hips to bury the blade fully in the water
- Stop your stroke at your feet
- Paddling is a full-body movement, not an arm movement
- Be sure to have your paddle perpendicular to the board (straight up and down) while paddling forward and backwards
- When turning (sweep strokes) be sure your paddle is parallel.
- To sweep stroke, paddle in the shape of a "C" until you turn in the direction you'd like to go.