THE POSITION: Product Design // Developer
BOTE was founded in Destin, FL by husband and wife team Corey and Magda Cooper, with the purpose of reshaping the standup paddle board industry from what was largely identified as surfing offshoot to a distinct culture built on conceptually simple, aesthetically pleasing and functionally innovative products that would appeal to people from all walks of life. The company has rapidly redefined the watersports industry through the delivery of a distinguished brand built on a distinct mission; “To stand apart through industry-shaping innovation, fresh ideas and simplicity to create a product that defines a lifestyle.”
BOTE is looking for a self-motivated Product Designer // Developer to help build the brand and business through products that reflect the mission. This position requires a creatively flexible, detail oriented person whose work will significantly impact the company’s products. The entire product team shares a soul of what it means to be a BOTE product and this candidate must be able to integrate themselves into the culture and share in the passion of what the products represent. It’s not just about skill of design, but more importantly about why it should be designed, developed, implemented and most importantly consumed. Understanding synergy between brand and product is key for being successful in the position.
BOTE's current core products are stand-up paddle boards. This role will be involved with the core products but will also assist in the development of products and categories that will carry the brand forward into the future.
- Design and develop Stand-up paddle boards including all components, accessories and integral products associated with the culture.
- With the creative – graphic design team initiate product aesthetic and soul through graphical and textural elements
- Take a product from idea to prototype to production.
- Work closely with the sales and financial teams to insure that the products maintain a competitive balance between margin and cost.
- Also insure that the accounting of development and implementation or done accordingly.
- Work closely with factories both domestically and internationally to develop production tools, plans, models and the quality assurance associated with every new product.
- Travel to domestic and international factories to work with our Production Managers.
- Develop and implement the quality assurance schedules so that factories, QC agents and sales teams understands the standards
- Understanding all of BOTEs products and staying current on any product change and knowledge.
- Be a field tester of the products to validate the design concepts. You must show cultural fit.
- Work under sometimes tight time constraints to deliver a product for time sensitive events (tradeshows, video / photo shoots, etc)
- Continually improve the organizational and timeline efficiencies for design.
- Work long hours when required
- Exhibit a strong knowledge of development processes. Including 3D Design, CNC Machining, surface finishing, 2D and 3D visual rendering, materials selection, etc.
- Act as a fully functioning member of the team. Must develop rapport with peers, Customers, and Vendors. Promote the company's values, visions, and objectives at all times.
- Constantly seek to improve your skills both technically, as well as interpersonally, with the goal of growing your role and responsibilities to the company.
- Degree in Design or Engineering
- 3+ years’ experience in consumer products design and development preferred.
- Product Design, technical specification, and product development experience
- Knowledge of composite materials (fiberglass, carbon, epoxy, etc) and processes is a must.
- Experience with plastics (injection molding, roto molding) and fabrics (nylon, PVC, etc) and the associated production processes
- 3D CAD Experience (Solidworks,etc)
- Experience with CNC Machining for tools and prototypes.
- Experience working with Web Designers to facilitate the appropriate communication of a product via the web
- Ability to translate product idea through collaboration with Creative and Video teams
- Ability to Create Solid Models for Rapid Prototypes
- Ability to travel internationally
- Excellent Level of Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop and Indesign) is preferred.
- Solid Communication skills for interdepartmental and customer communication
- Consumer Trade Show Experience
- Must be flexible to juggle many projects at once while still moving everything in a forward direction.
- Have a passion for the water and the Outdoors is a MUST
- Experience in small to medium sized businesses is desired. Understanding the operational standards of a face paced rapidly growing small business will be a key to flourishing in the environment.
- Strength of character and cultural fit. This includes the capability and backbone to provide honest and reasonable dissent, taking an unpopular stance if necessary. He or she will thrive in an open and non-hierarchical environment that requires a high degree of interaction among functions. The ideal candidate will bring high drive but low ego.
- Bottom Line: GET SHIT DONE!
BRAND CORE VALUES:
- STAND APART- Being innovative by taking a different approach to what most consider standard. Proven ability to lead and manage change. The successful candidate will have a high sense of urgency and flexibility, combined with the ability to inspire others to accept change, be different and achieve more than they thought possible.
- COMMUNICATE – Talk, Listen, and Question. The core of civilization. You must have superior communication and interpersonal skills. Have the ability to be persuasive, form relationships, tailor the message and delivery it to a variety of audiences including customers, employees, and executives.
- BE CREATIVE – Be able to look past the obvious yet not ignoring it. Assimilate these observations and thoughts into an executable idea.
- RESPECT - Have regard for people, ideas, material things etc. both ethically and in their qualities. We want our brand to be respected by consumers and competitors for what we stand for and as a major representative of the brand, this candidate must have respect.
- PASSIONATE – Having enthusiasm and commitment towards your activities, goals and directions. Affinity for the product and the target consumer. The ideal candidate will embrace the active lifestyle defined by our product. You must be able to relate to the entire vertical consumer chain. Strong record of achievement and demonstrated willingness to ‘roll-up-your sleeves’, with a ‘can-do attitude’ is critical.
We offer the opportunity to work in a rapidly expanding “cool” industry with a brand that is defining its own path. Your direction will dramatically impact the potency of the brand and will shape THE INDUSTRY. Salary dependent on level of qualification.
To apply: Send resume or credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org
« All Careers